It finally happened! Emma smiled at me. She smiled at me-not because she pooped and not because she just finished eating and not because she was dreaming. She smiled at me! I was so excited and then thought it was just a coincidence, but she did it again. Through my tears I could see this little face looking so intensely at me and smiling at the sound of my voice and my smile. It was one of the greatest moments of my life. Of course I couldn't wait to tell Mike and when he got home, he spent time trying to get her to smile at him. When it wasn't working I went over and started talking to her and she broke into a huge smile. Of course that was not what Mike wanted to have happen and spent the evening trying even more to get her to smile at him. I am happy to report that she did it this morning. It is amazing that a simple nonverbal expression can convey so much and bring about so much joy and love. Wow!
Along with Emma's new found talent to smile (I really thought she might never learn how through the screams) she has found a new level of contentment in the past four days. After the worst day of all on Friday when she screamed for 10 hours, stopping only to eat and sleep a total of 20 minutes, we have had four wonderful days. Yes, there has been crying, but Emma is having alert and happy time when she is done eating. She is learning to (and I am learning to let her) have alone time in her swing or playmat to avoid over stimulating her. I finally feel like we are begining to have a routine and if Emma is anything like me, that predictable and scheduled routine brings security and tranquility. The more time I spend with her the more uneasy I get when I see how much like me she really is...we are in for it for sure! I am so encouraged by this shift in our daily behavior and realize there will be hard days but have felt as though I have really enjoyed my daughter the past several days. Along with that, she is nursing well and sleeping well at night-we pray that continues.
I love this goofy picture of Emma! She is taking on more personality and although it is not the picture I wanted to post, it is a good one. The CF card in the camera is full with over 400 pictures from Colorado and over 300 from the hospital and the first few days home. Mike has promised to clear it off so that I can post some new pictures of her as she is changing and growing each day. We are so thankful for her!

1 comment:
Remember how full that memory card is with just a few days of Emma when the second one comes along. I was scrapbooking yesterday and started feeling really guilty that we haven't taken nearly as many pictures or videos of Slade as we have of Selleck.
Post a Comment